Clemster's Playground

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The Intermission

Lesley's job in Buckhorn is now half over. We were eased into our time apart pretty easily at first, with me bringing her to Dana and Andy's for the weekend after the Canada Day long weekend, and then her boss having to come back the weekend after to participate in some interviews. So during the first two weeks we saw a lot of each other. The next two weeks however slowed to a crawl as we waited for her to come back to Sudbury for a wedding this past weekend. As uncomfortable and un-fun as weddings are for me, I was most definitely thankful for the opportunity it gave her to come home.

Communication is always the toughest part of a long distance relationship, and with her only having access to a pay phone makes it even tougher. Luckily she's also able to use a computer with Internet at a mine site once a week. I've never been good on the phone and if I can avoid it I'd rather not have serious conversations while chatting on the Internet, so this experience has been stretching me. I think the hardest thing about chatting is being patient and waiting for the other person to finish their thoughts. A one minute silence in a face to face conversation while thinking about how to answer a question feels more like 30 minutes of silence when typing. It can frustrating trying to formulate a thought and have the other person move on to another topic out of nervousness. The male brain just doesn't process thoughts and especially emotions as quickly as a female's brain. I can type fast, it's just the thoughts that take time.

As our two weeks apart was coming to an end our phone conversations seemed to get longer and longer which is no small feat considering Lesley has to stand in a pay phone at a gas station. I hope she knows how much it means to me that she would do that for me. We've been fortunate that I've been able to be home whenever she calls or she's been able to reach me at work when I'm working late.

She was even able to completely surprise me by coming home a day early from Buckhorn. I was at home, lying on my bed watching a movie on a Tuesday afternoon, when all of a sudden a head pops into view in my door way. She said the look on my face was priceless changing quickly from a lack of recognition to disbelief. I was in shock for at least half an hour. Once I came to my senses she started confessing all the lies she had to tell me to continue to make me believe I wouldn't see her until Wednesday. Even my parents were in on it. I was totally proud of her for pulling it off.

Her week back in Sudbury was so great. I had the week off from work (shorted from two weeks because of a major provincial deadline) so we spent just about every waking minute together. The wedding on Saturday was nice, but it was so very tough not being able to sit with her during the ceremony or the dinner because she was a groom's woman. That's right – she stood for the groom. I was very glad I could be there to support her since she's not a big fan of weddings either. In all it was a very long day, but she looked absolutely stunning in her black gown. I'll post some pictures at the end of this.

Not all of our time together was fun and games. We just can't seem to go a day without having some kind of intense, emotional conversation about our pasts or our futures. As tough as it is, I don't think I'd have it any other way. It is SO nice to finally have someone to share my hopes, dreams, fears, and faults with. As scary as it is to be so brutally honest with her, it's incredibly freeing. We're free to love each other for who we are. I know she loves me, the real me that no one else sees. And for that I will be forever thankful. I just pray I will never take her love for granted.

And now we find ourselves apart once again. This time she's gone for three weeks. They will be the last three weeks for the summer thankfully, but after how hard it was to be apart two weeks, we were dreading saying “see you later”. I might be able to go down and see her next weekend, but I'm not keen on staying there with her and her boss. He's a very introverted, eccentric guy and kinda gives me the creeps. I dunno how she's able to live in a cabin with him. As much as we don't understand why we have to be apart like this, it's definitely made it clear to me how much I can't live without her.

Here are a few pictures from the wedding:

Lesley and her mother, Julie


How did this babe end up on my arm?


Absolutely stunning


The Wedding Party

Matthew.

1 Comments:

  • Man you are one sexy dude!!! :-)

    You guys are too cute!

    By Blogger Jeremy, at 9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home