Clemster's Playground

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Stirring the Soul

It's late and I should be in bed, but I just got out of the shower and I'm waiting for my hair to dry. I received some CDs in the mail today that I had ordered so I figured I'd listen to one. It's been a bit of a rough week, and I'm feeling so exhausted, but the CD I just put in is making my heart ache right now.

The CD is Passion: Hymns Ancient and Modern - Live Songs of Our Faith. The subtitle is so incredibly appropriate... all of the songs on this album are over 100 years old, but they are still alive. The arrangements are so amazing and respectful of the source material. The Passion artist have breathed new life into these songs that some of us have heard played so lifelessly in the past.

As I've blogged in the past there's just something so special about hymns that makes people stand straighter, sing louder, and pour everything they have into the song. There's nothing that gives me the chills more having the instruments drop out during a hymn and hear everything singing acapella. The feeling of community is so poignant at that point. I bought this album for inspiration because there are those in our church still asking for "the old hymns" and I want to honor their wish. I'm not sure what they'd think of these arrangements, but I know they stir my soul.

Matthew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home