Clemster's Playground

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

White Noise

The other day I was working away at my desk in the office when all of a sudden everything got really really quiet. Up until that point I hadn't realized that my office environment was particularly noisy, but it turns out the furnace in the building had turned off. It really was a surreal experience and I wasn't the only one that noticed it. Suddenly it felt like some pressure I hadn't noticed before had been lifted and my ears ached from the relief. It was that feeling of everything being so quiet that it almost hurt as my ears strained to find some sound to latch onto. I had been immersed enough in the white noise of the boiler rumble and the air flowing that I didn't notice it anymore.

This rather simple occurrence got me thinking - What would it be like if all of a sudden all the "white noise" of our lives was gone? What if all the chronic aches and pains that we've had for so long that we no longer notice them, were suddenly gone? What if all our allergies were gone? What about no longer having asthma? How would it feel to breathe with completely healthy and whole lungs?

And then I guess the opposite would be true? If we're healthy what would it be like to live in the body of someone with arthritis for a day? Or someone who has Parkinson's? I would think it would give us a greater appreciation of what real mental toughness is experiencing the pain someone else deals with every single day of their lives.

But most importantly I got to thinking what it might feel like if all the burdens of our sins were gone. For those of us who've asked for God's forgiveness, we still tend to hold onto our guilt even though we're been forgiven. How would it feel to live a guilt-free life? How much more could we do for God if we weren't being held back by our past? Am I so scared of success that I carry my skeletons around with me on purpose? I'm definitely scared by what God might ask me to do if I am completely in tune with Him. But then would it really be all that scary if my relationship with Him was open, honest, and unhindered? I think not.

Matthew.

1 Comments:

  • Matthew,

    I think that when do have those moments of pure connectedness with God, when all the white noise has dissipated, it's a sense of relief, gladness, weightlessness with a tinge of tears. I had a moment like that this weekend and it's amazing! Don't be afraid to let go and let God. You'll love it!
    God bless,
    Maggie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home